Thursday, August 11, 2011

Alaska day 5!

So our trip has been really nice so far, but for the most part has been pretty low key. Today we decided to change that and went to Girdwood, to pick wild blueberries on a mountain. I knew we were going blueberry picking since before we left for Alaska and that's when the nightmares started. In preparation for this trip I have been having bad dreams about various things, one of which was having a run in with a bear while blueberry picking.

When we got here I asked a bunch of question about how safe it was. Brittany told me about the last time they went blueberry picking. The blueberry bushes were so high that they covered their heads and they would come to an area that was all patted down because a bear had been there! This made me even more frightened! So last night before we went blueberry picking I was freaking out! So last night we went to bed and I had decided that we were not going. But this morning I woke up and changed my mind. We had to wear bear bells (little bells that make noise) so that the bears would know that we were there and hopefully leave us alone. I guess the bigger the group of people and the louder you are the safer you are. So I made sure to yell the whole time. Sean was climbing up a little higher with Penn on his back so I kept making sure Sean was yelling as well. At first Erik thought that I was really excited and that is why I kept yelling and then realized it is because I am afraid of bears and then started making fun of me.

This picture was taken on the drive there. The drive there was beautiful, it is one of the top 10 must see drives in North America for good reason. There were mountains and ocean all around us.




This is in Girdwood. A ski resort right next to wear we were blueberry picking.

Sean and Penner ready to go get some blueberries!




Blueberry plant.

The view!







Penner and Chicago were crying after a while of blueberry picking. So Britt and I decided to head down the mountain so we could put the children down for naps. As we were about to start heading down hikers passed us and let us know that there was a mama black bear and her cub sighted further up the mountain. This encouraged us to hike down even faster.

All the blueberries we picked!
That night before we headed out to Baxter Church we (actually Sean and Erik) made the Salmon they caught! It was delicious! Oh yeah, we also had steak and orange chicken and there was some rice involved. There was also salad but I don't think any of us ate the salad. I still feel fat from that meal!



My sister Miriam bought Chicago this cute polo outfit for us to bring with for him. We thought that size 6 month would fit a 5 monther, but as you can see it was not even close! He is too cute!
The guys headed out to church early and Brittany and I walked there a little later. It was very nice weather, like high 60's. Perfect for a walk. I don't think that having mountains all around everywhere we go will ever get old.


It was still a little sunny at 8pm so Chicago decided to wear his mom's sunglasses.
This picture was taken at 8 pm.
Playing in the nursery again!

I am sure after another very long day of fun that we will all sleep soundly tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment