Saturday, January 14, 2012

A very scary morning.

This morning I made Penner some muffins. I made regular sized muffins and mini muffins. These muffins had some milk in them. However, Penner is allowed to have milk and butter if it is baked at a high temperature (this is supposed to destroy some of the proteins). The muffin mix I used had milk as one of the very last ingredients. And I gave Penn a mini muffin just to make sure he would be okay.

Five minutes after he ate the muffin he started coughing, at the first cough I heard I gave him benadryl. And then he started wheezing and gagging and getting all mucousy. He also started to have shortness of breath and labored breathing. At this point I was internally screaming and freaking out, but keeping my cool (for the most part) externally. I had the epi pen out and ready to use just in case his breathing got worse and he was not able to get enough oxygen. Sean decided to call 911, we were getting pretty concerned at this point. I kept holding him tight and telling him to take deep breaths. He was very upset and crying, which I think is a good sign, if he was getting enough oxygen to cry the epi pen was not needed yet. But we were concerned that it could get worse.

The firemen got there and it only took them about 10 min. I could tell Penner was very frightened by the way he was feeling and by all these men coming in the house, he was very clingy to me, which at that point you could not get me to let go of him without a fight. By the time the firemen got there the benadryl was beginning to work and the wheezing had stopped, they listened to his breathing and said that we did not need the epinephrine at this point and that if the benadryl was starting to work his condition should just continue to improve. Then about 5-10 min after they firemen got there, the ambulance got there and the paramedics were no where near as helpful or kind as the firemen. We declined a ride in the ambulance to the ER. Penn's breathing was finally slowing down. The firemen noticed that they had gotten snow all over the floor and insisted on cleaning it up! They were pretty amazing. They all left and we headed out to the pediatrician. I think we just needed to get our honestly after all that adrenalin rushing and craziness we couldn't just stay in the house.

It was incredibly scary. I am holding Penner just waiting to see if it gets worse and I need to give him the drug that almost killed him when he was 6 months old or if he gets better. Praise God for benadryl! I was so sick for the rest of the day I couldn't eat and could barely function. I get so scared that I am going to lose him in those situations and then that fear tends to haunt me for a while. But God graciously reminds me that He is in control and He is the one that is protecting Penner. He also reminds me that those fears are not from Him.

2 comments:

  1. My heart started racing as I read that. So glad he is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful that God protected him and protected your heart as well. There is Evil in this world, lurking about hoping to kill steal and destroy, I'm praying that Penner is kept safe!

    ReplyDelete