Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Sabbath

Exodus 20: 8-11 "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the LORD your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore, the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy."

So Sean and I have decided to take a day of rest (Sabbath). Why it never occurred to me that this is one of the commandments and I should actually follow it, I don't know. I mean what if I just started ignoring the other commandments, like thou shalt not kill? We would be in trouble. I think the Sabbath is one of the most disobeyed commandments. And this goes right along with our culture always having to be busy. Always working, never taking a break. Even on my days off I make lists of things we need to get done, I go grocery shopping I do housework. But if rest is so important to God, that He rested on the seventh day, who do I think I am? Do I think I am better than God, that I don't need rest? Well we all know that I am not better than God, but when I disobey Him that is what I act like, like I know better.

Sean and I decided to make our day of rest on Tuesday, we have only done this once so far and it was very challenging. I did not realize how hard it is to rest. We had to leave the house because I was too tempted to work there. I wanted to work on Penn's party and do laundry and finish putting away all the Christmas decorations. But I had to stop and rest in God and trust Him that His will is better than mine and all that stuff would get done. And I found peace in that, this day of rest was a huge gift. Sean and I got to spend time with each other. Meaningful time with no computer or TV getting in the way. I got to journal and read! It was such a blessing. Sean and I got to do a devotional time together. God knows His stuff, He knows what He's talking about and when we follow Him we find true joy and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment