Saturday, May 21, 2011

Farmer's market!

I love summer in Chicago! Everything seems to come to life. After months and months of cold and gray, the sun comes out, everything blooms and people come out of their homes to enjoy the weather that will not last for long. We have been doing our best to enjoy the nice weather, when it is here. We had a few 80 degree days and then back to 40's 5o's and rainy. We have to make the most of the warm, sunny days because we do not get many. I have been looking forward to the summer for what feels like forever, and now that it is almost here, I want everything to slow down. The summer always flies by.

One thing I really love about summer in Chicago is all the festivals and the farmer's markets. The farmer's markets just started a couple of weeks ago (not all of them have started but a few). I have gone to two so far, and they have beautiful produce. I bought Russian blue potatoes (which are actually a beautiful purple) and made purple mashed potatoes. They would be perfect for Easter!

It is very important to Sean and I that we buy from organic or sustainable farms. I know that it is more expensive so we choose to eat chicken legs instead of chicken breasts. Or we choose to eat more veggies and less meat to make it affordable. We used to buy organic milk and eggs as well, but now we can't eat them so that has made it less pricey. We want to support a healthier and more sustainable way of living. For everyone that eats the food, for the animals and for the farmers. When I see videos of the way animals are treated in CAFO (factory farms) it makes me sick and I just can't support it. Every time I buy organic I am voting for better conditions for the animals we eat and healthier food to go into our bodies. And hopefully all that voting will make organic food cheaper and easier to get for the future.

I used to think that only the really cheap meat was bad. But after doing some research I learned that 80% of the meat we eat and have in our stores is from animals that were raised on factory farms. Google it, if you want, it is pretty gross. I also learned that they put ammonia in our burgers to kill the E. coli that it has because they are no longer feeding cows the grass God created them to eat and now feeding them food they were not designed to digest. Anywho, I could go on and on about how disgusting the meat coming out of these CAFO's is, but this is a happy post about how much I love farmer's markets. And how much I appreciate the farmers who are not giving in to the government, Monsanto and CAFO's.

Penner sitting in his stroller ready to get some fresh produce! Penner loves going to the farmer's markets because there are always a lot of other kids in strollers and dogs being walked.


We went with our dear friends Mark and Katrina Willis and Nathanael Filbert. Nathanael is by the way an excellent photographer if anyone needs one! I love this picture they look so happy. In the picture is Katrina, Nathanael and Penn.
Nathanael was like the daddy of the day. Penner was glued to him. And he is really good with Penner even though Penn can be pretty mean and scratch his face. Here they are holding hands and walking around.

There was this man playing a djembe and singing. He was passing out instruments to all the kids and they had a children's band right in the middle of Lincoln park. It was so cute. Penn loves music so he enjoyed himself.
Here is the man that was playing and passing out instruments. He was really funny, whenever new kids would circle around he would tell the parent "give that baby a tambourine!" and he told one little girl "girl, get you're beat on!" Yet another reason why I love summer in Chicago.
Dancing and playing music.

Nathanael walked Penner back to the car and Penn fell asleep in his arms it was too cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment